Excel/Think you have made a mistake

You normally give such good answers I was astounded when you stated that the filesystemobject was not available in Excel 2007 and later.  Not only did you say this to one person but to two people.  the filesystemobject is in the microsoft scripting runtime - not in excel.  It was only after pondering for a while that I realized you were describing the Filesearch object which was deprecated in excel 2007.  

With Application.FileSearch
   .LookIn = "c:\my documents"
   .FileType = msoFileTypeExcelWorkbooks
End With

Hopefully you can adjust your answers and provide the correct information.  Just a heads up.

Thank you for picking this up - yes, you are of course correct.  I do tend to check my own answers for use in similar questions, so I'm hoping this is why I made the same error twice, and I suspect it may have been partly a case of knowing what I needed to say later on  - as you know, filesystemobject is the means by which you can achieve some of what filesearch used to do, though not all (I'm still searching for a practical replacement when you need to search for excel files containing a given word or phrase for example!)
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!