Excel/change text color for values beyond a specific value

Hi, I set up an Excel worksheet for work attendance. I want the text color to change to red to alert for tardiness -- say, if our cutoff is 8:15 and the employee logs in at 8:16, then 8:16 should be colored red (and all other log in times 8:15 or earlier will be colored black).  How do I do that in Excel please?

conditional formatting will handle this - you didn't specify the version of excel, so hard to give instructions as they differ depending on version - prior to the ribbon, it's data, conditional formatting - here you can set the rules you want to use to colour the text red.  You MAY find it easier to spot if you used this to change the pattern of the cell - but you have the choice in conditional formatting to add what you need.

let me know if you need further help with this- you didn't originally ask me, but the question was in the "question pool" where questions that were not answered are available for any expert to look at.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!