Excel/Compare data in two columns to find matches

I have two columns of addresses, column A which has 13995 rows of addesses and column B which has 2257 rows of addresses.  I need a formula that will tell me which addresses in column B are also in column A.  Thank you for your time and expertise.  Amy

This Conditional Format will highlight all the duplicates in Column A.

Click on the letter A to highlight the entire column

Go to Conditional Formatting

Excel 2003:  Go to Format>Conditional Formatting and select Formula is, type in =(COUNTIF($B:$B,A1)=1)*(A1<>"") change the Format to Fill and the color of your choice and click on OK and OK.  The duplicates are now highlighted in Column A

Excel 2007 and 2010:  Go the Home Tab and click on Conditional Formatting and select New          Rule > Use a formula, in the Format Values where this formula is true type in =(COUNTIF($B:$B,A1)=1)*(A1<>"") and change the format to Fill and the color of your choice. Click on OK and OK.  The duplicates are now hightlighted in column A.

Hope this helps.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Richard Stephens

Can respond to questions up to and including advanced (very rusty on VBA) Currently using Excel 2007 and 2010 (can still remember some of the earlier excel programs). No question too basic.

Teacher and business trainer for 15 years. Run my own small business Current on all versions of Excel

Teacher for Adult students and Retraining Students