Excel/Comparing Strings in Seperate Spreadsheets

Question
Hey there,

I am currently working on a task where I need to see if there is a way to compare the strings in separate Excel spreadsheets to see if a match does or doesn't exist. Yes, both of the strings need to be exact matches. Do you know how to do this?

Thanks

Answer
CHRIS

I am not sure what you mean by "strings", but you can use the vlookup function to compare a cell in one worksheet to a range of cells in another worksheet.  This sounds like what you want to do.
Your formula might look something like this.

=VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A1:A100,1,FALSE)

The formula is in worksheet1 it tells excel to look up the value in cell A1 within the range of cells A1 thru A100 in sheet2, and if there is a match then bring back the value from column 1 of the range of cells being looked into.  In this instance it is column 1, so if there is a match the formula will return the value equal to the match.  If there is no match then the formula will return N/A.

The false in the formula tells excel to only work with exact matches.  If
it is left blank then excel will return the next closest match.

Hope this helps

Richard
Sunny Florida
USA  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Roberts