Excel/Excel-Process

Question
I work on two different excel(2007) files everday. I copy some data from File 1 and import it to File 2. Than, I  work between different sheets in File 2. The task I perform is on everyday basis and I have different File 1 and File 2 for every day (i.e. If I work on File 1a and File2a on 23/2/2013 ... I will do same task of extracting values from File 1b and pasting it on File 2b on 24/02/2013). Is there a way by which I can automate this process using Macros or any other Excel application. Thankyou for your time and consideration.

1-Excel Beginner

Answer
Hi Jay,

Yes, this is a type of task that can be done very easily by macros. It may even be possible to use Excel's record mode to record a macro to do this and not have to write any code, but this would only be the case if you always extract the values from the same cells of the first file and paste them into the same cells in the second file.  Most likely this is not the case and you would have to learn some VBA and write the code, but the advantage of this is that you could make the macro much more user-friendly, for example prompting you and enabling you to select the two files from a file browser dialog.

If you would like to hire somebody to write a macro for you there are lots of consultant/freelance resources available on the web that, once you have described your problem in sufficient detail, will give you a free quote for what it will cost you and describe roughly their approach and the functionality their solution will provide.  Based on your problem description I suspect most consultants would solve your problem for less than $200.

I hope this helps.

Damon  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Damon Ostrander