Excel/Excel Subtraction

Hi there. I'm trying to subtract a value in a cell on one page from a value on another page. i.e. - Page 1, A1 - Page 2, B1.
I attempted a simple "=A1-'Page 2'!B1 but when I type the formula in to the cell the original value is removed leaving me with just the formula and a negative number as the result.
Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sorry for being late in answering-I did not receive your question until today.

I am not sure where yu are putting the formula--if it is in cell A1 of page 1, then you will get the result that your are getting.  This is because you are replacing the value that is already in cell A1 with a new value or formula.  So the way to handle it is to put the formula in cell another cell for example cell B1 of page1. Or another solution is to use the value that you already have in cell A1 of page 1 in the formula so for example if the value in cell A1 is 555 the the formula becomes

Or if the 555 value has been produced by a formula then you include that formula in your formula  for example--assume 555 is the result of +y1+z1

So the new formula will be

Hope this helps
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Richard Roberts

Can assist you in most areas of Excel, have been working with it for about 15 years in many types of applications, but primarily in financial and accounting applications. I am a CPA and many client or client problems have necessitated the use of excel. I am not an expert in charting, macros, or pivot tables.

Have been working with Excel for about 20 years primarily in accounting and financial areas.

BA, Certified Public Accountant