Excel/Exit Sub philosphy

Question
Hello,

I have an Excel workbook with many time and VBA functions. Is it good policy that if a vba sub does not meet the basic requirements to do an "Exit Sub"?

I am concerned with all the "overhead" that is executing without cause. Is it good practice to reduce as much overhead as possible?

I am still such a novice.

Dave

Answer
Hi Dave,

It is good practice to reduce as much overhead as possible.  But that said I would have to say that in well-written code the use of Exit Sub has very little to do with reducing overhead, and more to do with making the code clean and understandable.  The alternative to Exit Sub is usually an extra EndIf in and If..Then..Else..Endif block, but this does not incur perceptible extra overhead.  Especially if you write code that someone else may someday have to understand and/or modify I would recommend putting the effort into making the code clean and understandable.

I hope this helps.

Damon
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Damon Ostrander