Excel/Linking embedded spreadsheets in Word docs

Question
Good day Jan-Karel

I've got two documents controlling accommodation bookings designed in MS Word. Doc A is our own internal document and doc. B is a doc that's emailed to the client in pdf format. Excel spreadsheets are embedded in each of the two docs calculating costs automatically. I Currently transfer info from the spreadsheet embedded in doc A manually to the spreadsheet embedded in doc. B. This creates the possibility of errors occurring. Can this process be automated by means of a function or formula inserted in the spreadsheet embedded in doc B?

I am aware that this function would work better if we were to rather use two Excel spreadsheets only instead of spreadsheets embedded in two Word docs. The problem is unfortunately an aesthetic one as a result of the limited design possibilities of Excel as a result of its rigid cell structure.

Regards.
Nico Smith

Answer
You could do this in two steps:
1. Create the calc sheet in Excel and save it
2. Copy the part of the sheet you need and paste-special, link it in the Word documents.
Now if you edit the embedded Excel in either document, both documents are updated.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Jan Karel Pieterse