Excel/List to start at top

Question
Dear Aiden, I have a Data validation list consisting of about 100 rows. However, of those 100 rows, only 65 of them are populated. The reason for this is due to the names that will be added later on and rather than recreating the validation list each time I add a name to it I decided to contain blanks instead. I also can not use a "dynamic range" because my data is coming from a standard paper "checklist" where people can add extra items. My problem is that now each time I create a dropdown list using the data validation list, it jumps right to the BLANKS rows first instead of the first row containing information. Is there anyway possible to make the default the FIRST item on the list (TOP OF LIST) rather than the blank ones at the bottom via VBA or any other tricks?

Thank you kindly,
Lisa

Answer
I'm a little puzzled on a number of counts - firstly that the named range defaults to the bottom, as this isn't normal behaviour (do the blank cells actually contain a space?  If so, remove the space and it should behave).  Secondly, that a dynamic range won't work as this (to me) would be the exact sort of situation where I WOULD use a dynamic range, using a counta function to get the actual size of the list.

happy to look at the file if that helps - my email is aidan.heritage@virgin.net
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage