Excel/lookup multiple critera

i am using excel 2010 and need help with a formula...

column A - vendor number
 column K - invoice date (in text format)

sheet 2:
 column B - vendor number
 column H - contract start date (in date format)
 column I - contract end date (in date format)
 column J - contract number

i need help with a formula that looks up the vendor number and invoice date from sheet 1, and gives me the contract number from sheet 2 (based on the invoice date from sheet 1 falling between the contract start and contract end dates for that particular vendor number).

thanks for the help!

Just as a way to understand the formula, as the first phase of development of the formula,
you can get the row of the entry with this forumula

1*K2  should convert the text date to an actual excel date for comparison.  Also, it is assumed the invoice date is between the contract start and end dates.  

then  you can use that result to get the contract number using this formula (which includes the above formula)

so this final formula would be in row2 in the appropriate column of sheet1.  

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.