Excel/macro to record sequence of numbers

Question
Hi Tom

Is it possible to write a macro that would do the following?:

Today, in C3 I put in 10
c3:  10

tomorrow in C3 I put in 15 and you want to see 25 in “Sheet2 C3”

Thanks in advance

Chris Mitchell

Answer
C. Mitchell,

Right click on the sheet tab where you want this functionality and put in this code

I recall you had a range of cells where you wanted this behavior - I don't remember the exact last row so I put in C20.  Change that to represent the range where you want this behavior.

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim r As Range, v, v1, v2
Set r = Range("C3:C20")
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(Target, r) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
v = Target.Value
If IsNumeric(v) Then
 Application.EnableEvents = False
 On Error GoTo ErrHandler
 Application.Undo
 v1 = Target.Value
 If IsNumeric(v1) Then
    v2 = v + v1
 Else
    v2 = v
 End If
 Target.Value = v2
End If
ErrHandler:
Application.EnableEvents = True

End Sub

Lightly tested, but worked for me.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy