Excel/Microsoft Excel 2010

Question
Good morning,

I just have a quick question that I was hoping you may have heard about. I currently have Windows 7 on my computer and I'm using Microsoft Excel 2010. I have set up a sheet that allows me to track performance on a daily basis of our workers. In the sheet it take one cell and multiplies it by a set value then add's that to the cell below and so on and so forth until it reaches the bottom where it gives the grand total. It works fine on my computer however when I go to send this file to another employee who has windows 8 on their computer is gives a "Value" error in the grand total at the bottom. Just curious to what the cause of this may be and if there is a quick fix. The only way my employee can get the grand total to add up properly is to be a '0' in every blank cell. Moreover once you do this you can delete the zeros from the once blank cells and the formula still works. Let me know if you have any idea of what the problem may be. Thanks for your help and ideas in advance.

Answer
I'm not aware of any issues with Windows 8 specifically, but might be worth checking what version of excel is being used by your colleague - I would also check that all cells are actually blank and formatted as numeric - any cell containing a space would cause this error - but would look blank on the sheet - though this isn't windows 8 specific.  I'm happy to take a look at the rogue sheet if you want - my email is aidan.heritage@virgin.net
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage