Excel/Military Time and Date

How do I format a cell where both mm/dd/yy and 00:00 military time is included?  I want to be able to type in 0000 and get the colon in the middle.

Hi Geri,

In the formula bar or the cell where you want the time and date to appear, type: =now()
The result will be 2/19/2013 13:10
If you want the date to show as 02/19/13, then with the cell selected, go to the custom date/time field and edit it to show: mm/dd/yy h:mm

I hope this works for you.

Mary Lindsey
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Mary A. Lindsey

I can answer Microsoft Excel 2000-2007 questions regarding formatting, styles, shortcut keys, templates, forms, etc, but will not answer any macro questions.

I have over 15 years experience working in corporate America as legal and financial document support specialist. I have designed a template that converts html and Excel files to inserts these numerical data into Word documents so that there will be no document corruption because of file size and graphics that comes as part of HTML and Excel.

I am a Microsoft Office Master Instructor (MOS), Certiport Administrator and Proctor (97-2003)