Excel/Query:::- Preparing Students' Mark-Sheet

Hello There!

I'm not sure if it's the correct topic to ask the question.

But the thing is: I work in a school as a teacher. Currently, our school uses handwritten big-sheet (marks-ledger) and progress report (marks sheet) for different examination held at the school. But I want to implement the digital method i.e. prepare the big-sheet on computer and transfer the marks of each students to prepare computer printed mark-sheet. So, I want to get idea on how it is done. There's must be some simple method to do. Typing each marks on big-sheet and again typing the same data for mark-sheet is going to be time consuming and hectic.

I hope to get some tips and ideas on how it is done in simple way.

Thank You.

Hi Abhi,

If this is something that would be used in an entire school (involving multiple grades, classes, schoolyear -to keep historical data- and the like) I would advise to find someone to create a small database for this.
Doing this in Excel is possible, but rather cumbersome.

A database would hold tables like :

- Students (holding the personal data of each student, like Student ID, name, address, dob, ...
- Subjects (holding names of the subjects thaught on the school such as Math, Science, English,...)
- Grades (holding just the grade names you have, e.g. 1st grade, 2nd Grade, ...)
- Exams (holding one row for each exam taken by each student, with information like Subject ID, Student ID, Exam result, Exam weight factor -to be used for calculating a weighted average-, ...)

Joining the proper tables and creating a report from that makes it easy to print marks-sheets.

If you like I can create a small example database for you (provided you have Microsoft Access installed).
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Jan Karel Pieterse

Excel and Excel/VBA questions

Excel MVP

Self employed Excel developer

Bachelor in Chemical Engineering

Microsoft MVP award since 2002

Shell, Fortis bank, ABN-AMRO bank, Morgan Stanley, ...