Excel/Question on Preparing Students' Mark-Sheet

Question
Hello There!

I'm not sure if it's the correct topic to ask the question.

But the thing is:
I work in a school as a teacher. Currently, our school uses handwritten big-sheet (marks-ledger) and progress report (marks sheet) for different examination held at the school. But I want to implement the digital method i.e. prepare the big-sheet on computer and transfer the marks of each students to prepare computer printed mark-sheet. So, I want to get idea on how it is done. There's must be some simple method to do. Typing each marks on big-sheet and again typing the same data for mark-sheet is going to be hectic and time consuming.

I hope to get some tips and ideas on how it is done in simple way.

Thank You.

Answer
Hi Abhi
How are you?

Do you have mark sheets for each subject and want to join all these marks into another file?

Try first  some simple examples>
1. One file (AllMarks.xls) with 3 students and 2 subjects
Number, Name, English, Maths   in A1:C1
2. One file for each subject and the three students
eg. number, name, English in A1:C1
3. One file for each subject and the three students
eg. number, name, Maths in A1:C1
4. Type the english and maths marks in corresponding file
5. Open the 3 files
6. On the AllMarks file type in C2
=Vlookup(A2, select the range A1:C3 of the English.xls,3)
copy down (see where you need the absolute addresses)
7. On the AllMarks file type in D2
=Vlookup(A2, select the range A1:C3 of the Maths.xls,3)

I hope this helps.
Cheers
Adeide  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Adelaide carvalho