Excel/reduce cell numbers by %

Question
hi Philip
sorry to bother you ( hope i explain this well) i have an excel sheet as a price list and i have about 40 cells with separate prices in each of them, is it possible for me to reduce or increase those prices by "percent" just by typing that percent in a separate empty cell thanks.
regards Rick

Answer
Yes you can.  Let's assume your price list is in cells B1 through B40.  In cell A1 you can put the percentage change you want.  In this instance the new price list will be in cells C1 through C40.

Put the increase or decrease in cell A1.
Put the curser in Cell C1 and type the following and hit return:

=(1+$A$1)*B1

This will put the price increase / decrease in cell C1.
Copy cell C1 and paste it to cells C2 through C40.  This will use the amount you typed into A1 for the entire price list.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Philip Buckley