Excel/reduce cell numbers by percent

hi nathan
sorry to bother you ( hope i explain this well) i have an excel sheet as a price list and i have about 40 cells with separate prices in each of them, is it possible for me to reduce or increase those prices by "percent" just by typing that percent in a separate empty cell thanks.
regards Rick

There are a couple of ways to go about your question.  Here is one option:

Option 1) Lets say your prices are in cells A1:A40.  You could create a formula in cell B1 which looks like this:

Then you would copy that formula from cell B1 to cells B2:B40.  Initially the values are going to be zero; however, you can now type 10% (or .10) into cell C1 and the new prices will appear in column B.

Option 2) Lets say your prices are in cells A1:A40.  

a) Type 1.10 into cell B1.
b) Copy cell B1
c) Select the range A1:A40
d) Choose paste->paste special and select the options "values" and "multiply".
e) Click OK

Once the above steps are done all prices will have increased by 10%.  

Hopefully one of the above options works for you.  Please remember to donate if this solution worked for you!!!
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

This expert requires a donation of $5 for questions answered (satisfaction guaranteed). Isn't $5 a value for this experts time?
Microsoft Excel questions related to advanced formulas, Pivot Tables, filters, forms, graphs, and just about anything else (EXCEPT Visual Basic Coding/Programming and Macros, I don't answer questions in those categories).

I have been using spreadsheets since Lotus 1-2-3 was released.

Certified Public Accountant (CPA)