Excel/request for help

I have an MS excel file and am using verison 2010. i wish to share the file with my colleagues who should be able to input a set of data but should not be able to edit the formula in other cells. it should be possible that they can see the formula but should not be possible to edit, delete or modify the formula.

please help.

your support would be deeply appreciated.

can i expect a reply to mail mailbox? thanks in advance.

Open new Excel workbook. Select A1 and right-click on it, choose Format Cells, Protection, and uncheck "Locked", OK.

In A1 enter

In B1 enter

Right-click on the sheet tab at bottom, choose Protect Sheet, OK.

Now you can send workbook to anyone. They'll be able to change the value in A1, but they can't change the formula in B1.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Stuart Resnick

I can answer questions relating to MS Excel formulas, or to programming with vba (Visual Basic for Applications) in the Excel environment. Please follow the following guidelines: your question should focus on one specific issue you want to learn. It's beyond the scope of this free service for me to create entire projects or complex vba solutions for you from scratch. You should be able to do most of the work yourself, and come here when you need help with a specific point you're stuck on. ALWAYS include a simple, concrete example illustrating what you want to learn. Explain this example in detail in the text of your question (what data is in which cells of which sheets, etc). Be very precise about the results you want, using this sample to make the logic clear. Always keep these examples SIMPLE. Never e.g. use 18 worksheets in your example if using 2 or 3 will do. Never use ranges like AI567:BB865 if using a range like A1:B3 will do. Thanks.

As a consultant, I've designed Excel tools since the 90s, working for the Federal Reserve Bank, AT&T, and (currently) Gap Inc.

My only "education" comes from 2 decades of doing spreadsheet/programming work, with major SF Bay Area corporations such as AT&T, Federal Reserve Bank, and Gap Inc.