Excel/Swapping the excel text

QUESTION: Hi Stuart,

I have a document in which all the cells in one column have information that I would like to swap in regards to the order they are in... for example...

I want..

David Antony

to be...

Antony David

This is a rather large document and would rather not do this manually for every cell if I don't have to.

Thanks !!

ANSWER: Say that cell A1 is

David Anthony

and the other names follow in cells A2, A3, etc.

In B1 enter

=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,200)&" "&LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)

which will display "Anthony David". Then copy formula down col B to do the same to the other names in col A.

QUESTION: Hi Stuart,

Thank you very much for your quick response.

Could you please explain me how the above formula is working with regards to Swapping the text.

Thanks in advance.

FIND(" ",A1) returns the location within the text in cell A1 where the first blank occurs. So for "David Anthony" it'd return 6, since the blank is the 6th character in this text.

MID(A1,7,200) returns the text in A1 starting with the 7th character (one after the blank), and ending 200 characters after. I use 200 because it's OK to use a number that's too large, but not too small, and none of the names will be more than 200 characters, so 200 makes it certain that you'll capture all the letters you want.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Stuart Resnick

I can answer questions relating to MS Excel formulas, or to programming with vba (Visual Basic for Applications) in the Excel environment. Please follow the following guidelines: your question should focus on one specific issue you want to learn. It's beyond the scope of this free service for me to create entire projects or complex vba solutions for you from scratch. You should be able to do most of the work yourself, and come here when you need help with a specific point you're stuck on. ALWAYS include a simple, concrete example illustrating what you want to learn. Explain this example in detail in the text of your question (what data is in which cells of which sheets, etc). Be very precise about the results you want, using this sample to make the logic clear. Always keep these examples SIMPLE. Never e.g. use 18 worksheets in your example if using 2 or 3 will do. Never use ranges like AI567:BB865 if using a range like A1:B3 will do. Thanks.

As a consultant, I've designed Excel tools since the 90s, working for the Federal Reserve Bank, AT&T, and (currently) Gap Inc.

My only "education" comes from 2 decades of doing spreadsheet/programming work, with major SF Bay Area corporations such as AT&T, Federal Reserve Bank, and Gap Inc.