Excel/Excel 2013 multiple "if" statements with text

Good Evening Bob, I am trying to create a guide for work that when a person selects option a (substrate) in a drop down box in column a, and an option from a drop down box in column b (supplier) it will return values in column c (available adhesive). The problem i am facing is all of my options are text only. I believe if it's possible i would need to use a nested "if" function but continually run into a wall because everything is text based.

Thanks in advance

something like this in C1, perhaps:
=IF(A1="CHOICE 1",IF(B1="2ND CHOICE","Answer1",IF(B1="3RD CHOICE","Answer2")),"A1 Not Choice 1")

If this doesn't help, send a sample wb to me at, use subject of "AllExpertsQ" and repeat what needs doing.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks