Excel/Excel auto Timesheet

QUESTION: Hello sir,

I am creating a time-sheet where i need a solution for the following,

1.) i have a validation list from where if i select anything, then in the next cell we see the time which i have created by using "if" and "=Now()" formula, But the time captured will not get freeze. it will change the time if i select second item from the validation list

Can you please help me how to freeze the time automatically (without using Ctrl + shift + :)

ANSWER: Hello Sainath,

There are two ways to handle this:
1. Instead of using Now function, you can try using the keyboard shortcuts: Ctrl + ; updates the date, Ctrl + Shift + ; (effectively Ctrl + :) updates the time stamp.

This will mean that every time you update the data, you will need to press Ctrl + ; to update the date and time. This potentially means more work.

2. Alternatively, you could try using a macro to do the job for you.

Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Thank you very much for your reply sir,
I want to freeze the time automatically (without using Ctrl + shift + :)

I am OK for macro and i know the code as

Private Sub Worksheet_SelectionChange(ByVal Target As Range)
My Code
End Sub

But here this maco will run every time i change the cell
I want to use it like if i select "Yes" then and only then this Private Sub will run

Thank you

Hello Sainath,

Can you mail me a format of your file, I have one idea that might work, but it's hard to explain it, I can build it into your format and send it to you.
Please mail to, please mention AllExperts in the subject.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

I can answer questions related to the following topics: 1. MS Excel - Creating and Linking Formulae, Running Pivot Tables, Vlookup etc. 2. Macros / VBA - Creating Macros to do specific jobs. Importing / Exporting / Validating Data in excel through Macros.

I've been working on excel for over 10 years and on VBA macros for over 3 years now.

Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Accountant from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India