Excel/Reference Sheet Linkages

I am working on two files at the moment:
1. Control File
2. Data Model

Control File has raw data input while Data Model has formulas linked from Control File. e.g. =SUM([Control File]Weekly Data!$B$2:$D$2) or =SUM([Control File]Weekly Data!B4:D4).

I primarily work on the Data Model everyday and the Data Model file is updated on a weekly basis. The issue arises when the Data Model file is NOT OPEN and I add weekly data to the Control File. While I am doing that, I sometimes have to add rows for a new field. That new field moves the below cells lower to another row and I save the Control File. Later on, when I open my Data Model file, the formulas linked to the Control File are disrupted for the ones which were below the added field. This disrupts my Model of the entire analysis.

Please suggest some quick solutions to it. I am running short of time to deliver an analysis and would appreciate all the quick help that you can provide.

Use defined names. For example, name the range B2:D2 as Range1 (or something more meaningful). in the Data Model, use =SUM('[Control File]Weekly Data'!Range1). If rows have been inserted in the control file, the range1 name will still reference the right cells.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks