Excel/Sum help

Question
QUESTION: I have a column of dollar amounts in column I.  The situation is as such.  The first $250 of the total amount of column I is to be paid by a certain party then the rest of the total is split up by two parties.

I need a cell to reflect this first $250. My best guess would be as such...in cell P5, if sum of column I is less than or equal to 250 then P5 equals the sum of column I, if sum of column I is greater than 250, then P5 equals 250.

Let me know if I need to be clearer than this.

ANSWER: in P5:
=MIN(250,SUM(I:I))

QUESTION: Great!  That worked perfectly!  

One more question for you.  at the end of each row I have a "date paid" column, (Column K), these cells will either contain an actual date, (ie. 3/25/13) or it will contain "N/A".

What I would like to do is that if the cell contains a date to highlight the row in Yellow.  If it contains "N/A" I would like to highlight a different color.  If the cell is blank, no highlights to the row at all.   

Any suggestions?

Answer
Select coluln K, use COnditional formatting, select "Use a formula to determine which cells to format", enter this formula (assumes K1 is the active cell):
=AND(K1>30000,K1<50000)
click FOrmat, select a yellow fill
Then do another New Rule for conditional formatting, enter:
=K1="N/A" and apply your other color.

THe formula with 30000 & 50000 is a date range between 2/18/1982 and 11/21/2036. There's no builtin Excel function to determine if something is a date or not, since Excel dates are "serial numbers" -- the number of days since 1/1/1900!
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Bob Umlas