Excel/weighting rankings

Greetings.  I am trying to do the following:  I have 12 options folks are ranking against 6 criteria.  However, we want to weight the criteria, as some are more important than others.  I have the options going across the top in rows, A - L, and the criteria going down Column A.  Right now, I have folks using a scale of 1 - 5 with one being "best" and 5 being "worst".  They're to fill in those rankings in the appropriate grid.  How do I then overlay the weightings, so that the rankings somehow more accurately reflect what we're trying to do.  I hope this makes sense.  Thank you, in advance, for your help.  Best, Jennifer

What you are talking about is a weighted average.  I have uploaded a sample spreadsheet here:

Essentially you need to assign a weight to each criteria, and the total of your weights should be 100%.  You then multiple each score by the weight... and in the end you get a weighted average.

If this solves your problem please remember to donate!
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

This expert requires a donation of $5 for questions answered (satisfaction guaranteed). Isn't $5 a value for this experts time?
Microsoft Excel questions related to advanced formulas, Pivot Tables, filters, forms, graphs, and just about anything else (EXCEPT Visual Basic Coding/Programming and Macros, I don't answer questions in those categories).

I have been using spreadsheets since Lotus 1-2-3 was released.

Certified Public Accountant (CPA)