Excel/Adding elapsed time to date/time column

Hello Dave,

I have a quick question for you. Seems like it should be very simple and common problem, but I couldn't find the answer elsewhere.

My problem is that I have a dataset, where the elapsed time is in minutes. I also have a start time from which the elapsed time is calculated. I need to regroup this into a single column with the following format: 2010-08-26 11:08:57 (year-month-day hour-min.sec).

To add the minutes I use the TIME(hour;min:sec) function. However, once the minutes exceed 1440 (1 day) Excel resets the minutes and only adds the value above 1440. I understand you can specify [min] in the format to add over a 24h period but in this case I would simply like to take this into account in the date.

Do you have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

I would suggest NOT using the time function - instead, as you have values in minutes simply use

=YourValue/60/24 (or =YourValue/1440)

this will convert the minutes to the decimal fraction that excel expects time to be in - to excel, the decimal fraction is the time, the integer part is the date - so adding two times together will increment the date.

Hope this is clear - question found in question pool indicating the original expert was unable or unwilling to answer the question.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!