Excel/Bank Holidays

Hi Tom

I have created a weekly timesheet which calculates the weekday
and weekend hours separately as different hourly rates apply.
For example, Monday to Friday equals basic rate and Saturday and Sunday are at time and a half.
The problem I have is with Bank Holidays.
When an employee works on a Bank Holiday they receive double time.
The maths are easy, it's trapping the Bank Holidays I have difficulty with.
Can you point me in the right direction please?

Hard to tell without knowing anything about your data and your layout.

If you are using the weekday function to discover a date where pay is increase then you could modify it to also consider a list of bank holidays.

Say B9 holds the date in question (the day the work occured) and your list of holidays is in  Z1:Z10

=if(or(weekday(b9,2)>5,countif($Z$1:$Z$10,B9)>0),Higher rate, normal rate)

NetWorkdays and Workday functions already incorporate an argument to include a list of holidays.  so if you are using one of them, then you would just include the range of cells that contain the holidays for this argument.

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.