Excel/Data Validation

QUESTION: Dear Tom Ogilvy,

I have given Data validation with the following contents (Term , Active,Extended, Assit )for office purpose. This prevents other persons from entering other  words than those listed by me. But when someone copy data from other cells ( for eg: Assssit) and paste in the cell it is accepting.

Can you provide me a solution to avoid such mismatch so as to have effective Data validation

ANSWER: Manikandan,

Data validation is treated the same as a cell format parameter.  If you allow the formatting of a cell to be altered, then the data validation can be altered.  You need to mark the cells that you want the value to be editable by the user as unlocked, then protect the sheet and not allow formatting changes.

Tom Ogilvy

I unlocked the cell as advised by you and protected the sheet. But couldnt understand not allow formatting changes. Please help. I'm using excel 2010

Data protection
Data protection  

when you protected the sheet you should have been given an list of parameters you could specify.    Usuually allowing to select locked or unlocked cells are checked and the other choices are unchecked.  Some of those other choices pertain to allowing the user for format.  As a minimum Leave those choices associated with formatting as unchecked (or uncheck them if they appear checked).  

Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.