Dear Damon,

I want to auto insert file path in the right footer every time i open any excel file in excel 2010 . how i can do this with or without using vba(macro)?

Hi Raja,

I haven't yet upgraded from Excel 2007 to 2010, but unless 2010 has some new capability to customize the default footers there is no way to do this without a VBA macro.  A macro is a pretty simple solution, though.  You could assign it to a button on the Quick Access Toolbar and you would just have to click it whenever you open an Excel file. The macro code wouldn't have to reside in the file--it could reside in your Personal.xlsm file or you could put it in a custom add-in.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Damon Ostrander

I have extensive experience with VBA programming in Excel 5 through Excel 2013. As a former aerospace engineer with a large aerospace corporation and consultant in a small defense technology services company, I have developed a wide range of applications in VBA, including simulations involving mixed-language programming, satellite orbit mechanics, graphics and animation, and real-time applications. I am interested in moderate to hard VBA-related questions only.

I have developed and taught several courses in Excel VBA programming and also VBA programming in Office 97, 2000, and 2007. I have developed a number of large technical applications in Excel VBA for use within the aerospace industry.

B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of California, Berkeley.