Excel/Dymaic chart formatting

I've created a dynamic chart using excel 2003, but I was wondering how I can keep the original (or pre-defined default)formats every time the chart is reproduced.  Examples include scale of axis, minimum and maximum values on an axis, format of chart labels, placement of the legend in the chart area etc.  I already have a chart title which can change as it is linked to the contents of another cell.
Many thanks,

There is a way to save a chart format as a template, then you can use that template to create new charts. Or, when you reproduce the chart, you can ctrl/drag the existing chart to make an exact copy and then make whatever changes you want to the copy.
Unfortunately, I no longer have excel 2003 so can't give you detailed instructions how to save as a template. Maybe it's time to upgrade to the current software (yours is now 10 years old!) and take advantage of so many new & better features.
You might also try googling Excel 2003 chart templates.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks