Excel/Excel data validation

I had Asked this question dated 12/2/13 for which I got a valid reply:

Col 1 has four enteries. Col 2 has dropdown for each of the four enteries. Upto this it is working fine. Now in col 3 I want to add further dropdown for the dropdown options of col 2. Please suggest the steps to it

Now in the Col 3 I want to put the data validation function again depending on the col 2 dropdown selection. Please suggest the steps

Using all the possible values for column 2 (I used 3 in this example, a, b, and c), put in a formula like this in the data validation for List:
in J1:J3 are the values for a, K1:K5 are the values for b, and L1:L4 are the values for c.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Bob Umlas

I`m a Microsoft Excel MVP (Most Valuable Professional) and have been since the inception of the program in 1995. I can answer every kind of Excel question except: API, Importing/exporting to other programs (powerpoint, word,...) Also check out my in-person training link at

Worked with MS Excel since version 0.99 (on the Mac!). Was contributing editor to Excellence Magazine, having written >300 articles. John Walkenbach said of me "I finally met someone who knows as much about Excel as I do."

Excellence, The Expert, Microsoft

BA in math, Hofstra University, 1965

Led sessions for the Convergence 2004-2006 seminar on Excel tips & tricks