Excel/Excel - Segregating records by identifying a date range

Question
Dear Expert Excel User:

I'm an HR professional trying to comply with health reform.  My payroll system is antiquated and I'm downloading thousands of records from it into Excel.  I'm trying to segregate records for employees who have a "hire date" between two dates i.e. between 11/01/12 through and including a recent date such as 4/1/13.  I think it's an "if" statement but I don't know the formula to use.  The end result I'm seeking is to have the records segregated from the rest of the population or alternatively identified/highlighted.  Any ideas?

Answer
Here's one way.  Type Start date in A1 and the actual start date in B1.  Type End Date in A1 and the actual end date in B2.  This will give you an easy way to change the date range of the employees you are looking for.

Sample
Start Date   11/12/2012
End Date     04/01/2103

Then in the first row of the first employee, use this formula where A3 is the hire date of the first employee listed an copy and paste down as far as you need to

=IF(AND(A3>=$B$1,A3<=$B$2),1,2)

All 1's will be within the start date and end date range.  All 2's will be outside the range.  Then you can sort the data

Hope this helps

Bill
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Bill