Excel/Formula to calculate and round time worked.

Question
Richard,

I need help with a formula for my employees timesheeet / timeclock spreadsheet. I'd like to enter start time in B1, end time in C1, and have total hours worked rounded to the quarter hour in D1. Also, if possible I'd like to add 20 minutes of paid lunch to any hours totaling 7.5 or more.

Example 1: (B1)8:30am (C1)4:30pm (D1) would = 8 plus 20 min lunch then rounding to quarter hour would make answer 8.25

Example 2: (B1)8:30am (C1)2:39pm (D1)6.25 (6 hours 9 minutes worked would round to 6.25 and since under 7.5 hours no paid lunch added.

THANKS!

Answer
See this tutorial on CALCULATING THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN TWO TIMES.

Then you could use an IF FUNCTION to add on 20 minutes if you want.

Be sure to visit my web site and watch my FREE 90-minute Microsoft Excel Video Tutorial

Cordially,
Richard Rost
599CD Computer Training

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Richard Rost