Excel/Formula question.

Question
Tom, you have helped me off and on for the past 15 years, and I hope you can once more, in spite of my inability to frame the question well. If you can help me, I appreciate it greatly, and if not, that will not take away from the incredibly high admiration I have for you and your abilities.
I have a spreadsheet where a bunch of our production and material costs are added together, given a price per thousand pieces, and a profit margin is added to them. (that part of the equation is a bit  backwards in that if the margin cell says 80% it will apply a 20% margin, if 85%, then a 15% margin etc. What happens is, my boss says, "bump that price up 3% in June" and then, by trial and error I have to figure out what to change that 85% to in order to achieve an increase of 3% in the final price.
It would be clearer I'm sure for you to look at an example. http://kingfield.net/excel/formula-question.xlsx  Very safe, Promise. Thanks Tom.
Paul (the wooden fruit guy)

Answer
Paul,

In C1 I would put the formula

=C2/(1+A1)

so you divide the percentage in C2 by (the percentage in A1 + 1)

in your example   80.00%/(1 + 3%) = 77.6699029126214%

then 260/77.6699029126214%  = 334.75

Your original formula boiled down to (260/80%) = 325.00  so to test my answer I add 3% of 325 to 325 and that equals 334.75 verifying that dividing by  77.6699039236214% produces the result you want (as I understand your problem statement)

Hopefully that is what you wanted.

--
Tom Ogilvy  
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy