Excel/Send an auto email

Dear Aidan,

Hope my question finds you well....

I need your help creating a macro in excel file doing follow:
1- recognize the computer name (check the computer name of person whom open this file).
2- send an auto email to my outlook showing that my file was open by (computer name).

means, I need this macro to do the same function available in outlook when any person read my email (I received a notification email).

Will appreciate if you can help me in this matter.

Thanks in advance

(1) - Environ$("ComputerName") would return the name of the computer
(2) - emailing is awkward, in that you will potentially run into security issues - it also relies on the user to enable macros, but assuming you want to try, I would recommend as a source document.

The macro should be in the OPEN event of the workbook - hopefully this gives you what you need but if you require further clarification please do let me know.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!