Excel/If Then Statement & Conditional Formatting

Question
Hi Bob,

Thank you for your time.  I am trying to work out an if/then statement based upon the difference between columns K & J.  Ultimately what I would like is that based upon the outcome column L will change its fill color to either red or green.  I have tried If/then formula's and variations and I have tried conditionally formatting and variations.  Is this even possible?  See my 'formula' below:

If K>J (by 5 or more) than color L Green, If J>K (by 8 or more) than color L red.

Again, thanks so much for any help you can give.  Even if I have to do this in 2 parts and hide a column with the formula I can do that.

Pam

Answer
Select column L. Assuming L1 is the active cell, use this formula in the Conditional Formatting dialog:
=K1>=J1+5
Then click format, select green fill.
Then put in a 2nd conditional formatting formula:
=J1>K1+8
Click Format, select red fill.
That's it.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Bob Umlas