I have one spreadsheet that has the following columns, year end date (2012, 2013, 2011, etc..), account type, account name, assets. One the second spreadsheet I created 2 drop down boxes one has in it the following list: last year, last 5 years, last 10 years, the other has a list of all the account types. I am trying to create a sumproduct formula that will calculate the assets based off of what I select in the drop down boxes. What I am having trouble with is how to create the formula where it will calculate the last 5 or 10 years etc. based off the most current year end date.

An interesting one - I THINK that I'd do this by having a lookup list which contained the year value for each of the drop down choices so you could then use sumproduct (which I assume you are using as multiple condition sumif?) to sum values if the date is greater than or equal to the lookup value - hopefully this makes sense, but if you need further help or clarification do let me know.  If it helps, my direct email is aidan.heritage@virgin.net
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!