QUESTION: I have one spreadsheet that has the following columns, year end date (2012, 2013, 2011, etc..), account type, account name, assets. One the second spreadsheet I created 2 drop down boxes one has in it the following list: last year, last 5 years, last 10 years, the other has a list of all the account types. I am trying to create a sumproduct formula that will calculate the assets based off of what I select in the drop down boxes. What I am having trouble with is how to create the formula where it will calculate the last 5 or 10 years etc. based off the most current year end date.

ANSWER: On a blank sheet, enter in A1:A5

In B1:B5

In C1:C5

Say you wanted a sum of col C for all rows in which col B is "type1" and col A is within the last 5 years. Select any empty cell and enter

as an array (type formula into cell, then instead of hitting enter key, hit ctrl-shift-enter). The formula will display 65, since that's the sum of rows 1 and 3, which are the rows that meet the criteria.

QUESTION: So it will not be possible to use this formula with the drop down box? I wanted to be able to choose the  time frame from a drop down.

Using my above example... In cell a9 make a dropdown with options 1, 2, or 5. Change the array formula to

Now, when the dropdown is set to 5, the formula will include last 5 years. If you change the dropdown to 2 or 1, the formula will reflect the last 2 or 1 years.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Stuart Resnick

I can answer questions relating to MS Excel formulas, or to programming with vba (Visual Basic for Applications) in the Excel environment. Please follow the following guidelines: your question should focus on one specific issue you want to learn. It's beyond the scope of this free service for me to create entire projects or complex vba solutions for you from scratch. You should be able to do most of the work yourself, and come here when you need help with a specific point you're stuck on. ALWAYS include a simple, concrete example illustrating what you want to learn. Explain this example in detail in the text of your question (what data is in which cells of which sheets, etc). Be very precise about the results you want, using this sample to make the logic clear. Always keep these examples SIMPLE. Never e.g. use 18 worksheets in your example if using 2 or 3 will do. Never use ranges like AI567:BB865 if using a range like A1:B3 will do. Thanks.

As a consultant, I've designed Excel tools since the 90s, working for the Federal Reserve Bank, AT&T, and (currently) Gap Inc.

My only "education" comes from 2 decades of doing spreadsheet/programming work, with major SF Bay Area corporations such as AT&T, Federal Reserve Bank, and Gap Inc.