Excel/VBA Activate window

Hi Tom,

Excel 2003
In my workbook I use a sub that sends data to another application. As a result the Excel Window becomes inactive and the other program becomes the active window. This creates a problem. for ex. if the excel window is not active then a simple select cell code will not work.  ie. wsDB.Range("P35").Select

Is there a way to write code that will reactivate the excel window an point the keyboard back to excel. The other program is not a Microsoft program.

Try Chip Pearson's well documented code to perform this action:

(you could also use try the appactivate command he "disparages" since you are running the code from within excel - in excel you should know the window caption - but if that doesn't work, then you can fall back on the API code he provides).

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.