Excel/Data validation/Vlookup

Question
I am using data validation list. and the VLOOKUP function with this formula:
= HYPERLINK.(VLOOKUP(D5;'Sheet3'!A1:C340,2))
The problem is if some of the data in Sheet3 column A is like, the VLOOKUP function, cannot tell them apart.
* The validation is in sheet1 D5
* Data is on sheet 3

Exempel sheet 3
Column A  Column B
John       budget 2012
John       budget 2013
Per        sale
Petter     Sale
In the validation list John appears 2 times and I can choose between them, but in cell D7 where the formula is, only the first choice show up.(budget 2012)
I assume this is because the formula cannot see the difference between the two John
Can you help me?

Answer
It's not only that the "formula" can't see the difference, neither can you or I? If I told you what is in column B for "John", you don't know which one either! You need distinct John's, perhaps add a space to the 2nd one, and 2 spaces to the 3rd one (if there is one), etc.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Bob Umlas