Excel/Excel Question

Excel Question
Excel Question  
I have a MASTER worksheet that I already have some reference letters on the left column (Z, F, D). I will be adding worksheets to this same workbook on a weekly basis. This is a sample of what I am trying to accomplish, my real task has to do with beauty products but I made this to make it simple, same concept. Just to note, additional worksheets added will not always have the same number of "animals" as in the MASTER, i purposely deleted an animal from the SHEET 2 to create this situation. And will not be sorted by Ascending or Descending order, as you can see I mixed them up in SHEET 2. MASTER sheet will stay the same as you see it. This is so as to create the situation I will be in every week.

Ok. So the question is. I want to be able to tell SHEET 2, column C, to pull information from the MASTER, in Column C, which is those reference letters (Z, D, F). To do that I want it to be able to say that if the SKU from SHEET 2 matches anywhere in MASTER, to copy the reference letter in Column C in that same row that it found the SKU match. HOW DO I FORMULATE THAT?

And if and when you find the formula, I need to make sure it works no matter if I sort the list in SHEET 2. So, once SHEET 2 get's formulated, try sorting the list by ascending, descending order and see if the reference letters follow the sorting, that will test that column C is doing just fine. I will pay more than $5 if you can get this. It will save us a lot of time and will be worth it.

Sounds like a simple VLOOKUP formula to me - see http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/13780/using-vlookup-in-excel/ for a reasonably clear explanation - this works just fine regardless of how a list is sorted - question found in the question pool, which means the person you originally asked was unable or unwilling to answer the question - for which (despite it not being me) you have my apologies - my view on all questions asked is they deserve my best answer - even if that is that I cannot help.

HOPEFULLY this gives you what you need but do let me know if I can help further - if it helps, my direct email is aidan.heritage@virgin.net

Thank you for the feedback - I did wonder about mentioning Index match which is actually slightly quicker than vlookup and doesn't require the data to be in a prescribed order of columns - however, for your example, vlookup WILL work and would be quick enough - it's usually easier to follow too - but that said, the important thing is to have a working formula!
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Aidan Heritage

I have provided first hand support since `95 for Microsoft Office majoring in Word and Excel - support for all versions from 2 onwards. I'm based in the UK, so please allow for time differences when asking me questions from other parts of the world!

My background is in the insurance industry and call centre areas, but have been called upon to provide many varied solutions.

I'm educated to UK A level standard, but as I left school some 30 years ago that is rather irrelevent - university of life has provided more of a background!