Excel/Formatting

Question
Hello. (thank you in advance for your time)
I have two columns in this format: "dd/mm/yyyy - hh:mm". They are recognized in excel as a general format. I need to calculate the difference between dates but a #value error appears when that is tried.

I tried using a personalized format "dd/mm/yyyy - hh:mm" for the columns, but excel does not recognize the format and the error persists.

If I separate date and time using text to columns, the date format is recognized and differences can be calculated between dates. There is no such luck with the time format. Difference between times in hh:mm format still results in #value error.

How can I get excel to recognize the format in the entire columns so I can calculate diferences between date and time, and have the result in hours? (I am trying to calcuate exact time between entrance and exit. One colum has entrance date and time, other has exit date and time.)

Answer
Hi Ricardo,

Have you tried an If formula?

Column 1   Column 2   Sum
5/22/13 23:10   7/25/13 20:45   63.90 Formula =SUM(B2-A2) with A2 being column 1 and B2 being column 2

Give this a try to see if it works for you.  Remember that the - is an operation in Excel.  You may want to change the way you display the general format (i.e., dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm not dd/mm/yyyy - hh:mm)

Hope this works or you.

Mary Lindsey
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Mary A. Lindsey