Excel/Importing/Sorting Documents using Excel 2007

Ms. Lindsey,

I have a hard drive full of documents that I would like to sort by the last date they were modified by the document owner.

There are six folders each containing large volumes of documents.

I would like to then show the number of documents within each folder that have been modified (1) 1-5 years ago, (2) 5-10 years ago, and (3) 10+ years ago.

Is there a way for me to use Excel to help me show this information both in a table and with an accompanying graph?

I would appreciate any help that you may be able to offer.

Thank you,

Hi Mark,

I wanted to first apologize for the late reply.  

Your document list will need to be retyped with the accompanying access information placed in the appropriate column.  Once this has been entered into Excel as a worksheet, you will be able to manipulate the data.  

If you were using Office 2013, this would have been an easier process.  Please be reminded that even if the files are opened in 2013 the access dates would be changed, so the data would not be accurate.

Sorry I could not provide you with an easier process.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Mary A. Lindsey

I can answer Microsoft Excel 2000-2007 questions regarding formatting, styles, shortcut keys, templates, forms, etc, but will not answer any macro questions.

I have over 15 years experience working in corporate America as legal and financial document support specialist. I have designed a template that converts html and Excel files to inserts these numerical data into Word documents so that there will be no document corruption because of file size and graphics that comes as part of HTML and Excel.

I am a Microsoft Office Master Instructor (MOS), Certiport Administrator and Proctor (97-2003)