Excel/How to lock a single row or make a single row read only

Hi Gulshan,

In my excel template i want to make my column headings read only so that no one can change the column names. Can you guide me with this.

Thanks & Regards

Hi Sourabh,

Select all cells in the sheet and select Format - Cells.
In the Protection tab, uncheck the "Locked" check box
Click Ok.
Select the row you want to protect and select Format - Cells once again.
In the Protection tab, check the "Locked" check box.
Now only the cells you want to protect are locked.
Protect the sheet.
Once the sheet is protected, Excel will not allow the user to edit locked cells. Only unlocked cells will be protected.
Follow the same procedure for any other cells you want to protect.

Hope this helps,
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

I can answer questions related to the following topics: 1. MS Excel - Creating and Linking Formulae, Running Pivot Tables, Vlookup etc. 2. Macros / VBA - Creating Macros to do specific jobs. Importing / Exporting / Validating Data in excel through Macros.

I've been working on excel for over 10 years and on VBA macros for over 3 years now.

Bachelor of Commerce, Chartered Accountant from The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India