Excel/Cell Reference in Excel application.

Question
Dear Gulshan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Excel‎

Cell Reference is intersection of column,row where data is to be inserted in the cell.

For example : A3 Cell data is 5.
Now A3 cell is column 1 and row 3.

Instead of addressing a cell as columnrow i.e. A3 would we had use
addressing a cell as rowcolumn, it would have become 3A.

In this case, the cell reference is 3A, now if this convention had
been applied instead of the columnrow convention for cell representation, would it had impacted other excel features ?.

Examples : 5C, 4B, 9R instead of C5,B4,R9 respectively.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

I'm not clear on what exactly you are looking for.
Currently excel does not allow use of row+column reference. Are you trying to cover a hypothetical situation?

We do have a possibility to name ranges in excel, if required, you could write a macro and rename all the ranges in a sheet into a row+column reference.

Gulshan.
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

GULSHAN PURSWANI