Excel/Conditional Formatting

I have a spredsheet listing information for Providers.  Column G indicates if the Provider is Active or Terminated with either an A or T.  I would like to highlight the entire row of all active providers. Row 1 is a header row. I'm sure it's probably simple but I have not been able to figure it out.

Thank you for your help.

Kathie -

You are on the right track, there is just one part of this that is counter-intuitive. You want to enter the data like this:

Select Conditional Formatting, choose New Rule, Use a Formula...
The formula to type in, in your case, is:
This is the counter-intuitive part It doesn't matter if G1 is the right cell You just need a representative cell from column G.
Column "G" has the $ in front of it to make sure the formula always references column G. That's why the 1 doesn't have a dollar sign - it doesn't have to reference cell 1.

Choose your fill color then select OK. There is one more step.
Back to Conditional Formatting, Manage Rules.
Your rule should say =$G1="A", and the Applies To box will only have $G1. Change the Applies To to cover the entire table - this could be $A$1:$G$5000, or you could use just the column names - $A:$G.
The benefit to using column names is you don't have to update the formula if your table size changes. The downside is it can slow down processing because it's searching a million rows. Your call which will work best in your scenario.

Select Apply, then OK.

Hope this helps - Andrea
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Andrea Lynch

I am very familiar with teaching excel concepts, and formulas. I am not as capable with VBA questions.

I currently tutor in this area. I worked for four years developing curriculum and teaching Microsoft applications to adult audiences. I also previously volunteered for

BA, English, Western Washington University Certificates in C Programming, ASP.NET, VisualBasic.NET, University of Washington Extension

Rated in the top ten instructors (national), New Horizons Computer Learning Center.