Excel/Excel 2007 and 2010

Question
Tom, got your answer, thanks.  cant figure out how to continue this question thread, however, so I seem to be forced to start a new one (if you can advise how to continue, I wont start a new one "next time".

I tried the renaming trick you suggested in the proposed solution (copied from elsewhere, not your own solution).  What happens now is, Windows 7 enters a brief "Installation & configuration" phase, and ends up creating a new copy of Excel.Exe in the Office 12 folder.  When I click on an XLSX file, it then opens the new copy its made, which is of course Excel 2007.

None of the attempts to change the default program specify the path or the version name.  I simply see an icon for Excel, and it doesn't specify which version it is.  I haven't found anywhere that allows me  to select between the two versions.

I too have looked elsewhere on the net to find an answer, and having failed thus far, I've turned to you.  Got any other ideas?

>>> Bill

Answer
Bill,

this link seems to give the information you need.

http://smallbusiness.chron.com/make-excel-2007-default-program-40072.html

So browse to the correct version of excel.  

Then in the final step, he says if that doesn't work for you, then use the regserver command to reset the defaults for excel - again, you would us the proper path to reference the correct version of excel you want to use.

These steps make sense to me.  I have used regserver before and recommended it for problems related to registry settings.  I have set the program associations in earlier versions of windows when, as I recall, you could manually change the path.  So I believe a combination of the associations and the regserver should be very robust - but then I don't have an environment to test this.  

--
Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Tom Ogilvy