Excel/Excel Arrays

Hi Tom,
I have recently started exploring Excel and have run into a problem. Just last week, I didn't know what arrays were, but i have come to better understand them these last few days. Understanding (admittedly to a limited degree) arrays have opened many useful doors including the use of the index function to make dynamic charts. An example of a formula I am working with is included below:

**"Room" is defined as $N$7:$N$25
**"Status" is defined as $O$7:$O$25
**"$AA$1" contains the text "Inhouse"
**"$AA$2" contains the text "Out"

I was wondering if there was a way to consolidate the OR(Status=$AA$1,Status=$AA$2) section, just in case I wanted to have Status=$AA$3, Status=$AA$4, etc. I would really prefer not to type each out and was wondering if there was a way this could be avoided.

You could do

to replace your OR statement.

But if you meant could you do

OR(STATUS=$AA1:$AA4)  then the answer would be no.  

Tom Ogilvy

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Tom Ogilvy

Selected as an Excel MVP by Microsoft since 1999. Answering Excel questions in Allexperts since its inception in 2001. Able to answer questions on almost all aspects of Excel's internal capabilities. If seeking a VBA solution, please specify that in your question itself so I give you the answer you want. [Excel has weak protection - if you are distributing an application, I don't answer questions on how to protect your project from your users.]

Extensive experience.

Master of Science (MS) degree Operations Research (ORSA)

Microsoft MVP in Excel.