Excel/number masking

Art wrote at 2013-12-04 22:23:20
There is a possible solution but it is unclear to me what precisely your data is.  Will your data always be 10 digits with the first three digits displayed followed by four “*” then followed with the last three digits.  If the answer is yes then decide which column you want to put your original information into.  After this is done go to another column and insert this formula.  In this example column “A” has the original data and Column “B” will contain the formula.    =CONCATENATE((LEFT(A1,3)),"****",(RIGHT(A1,3)))

You will need to hide column “A” and protect the sheet, I assume you know how to do both.  

If your number of digits are variable then where I have “3” in the formula you will have to change that to a cell value, I would need more information to explain to you how to create a cell value.  Besides using the “Right” and “Left” Functions you may also need to use the “Mid” Function for the “*” and possibly the “Len” function if your number of digits are variable.

About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Bob Umlas