Excel/MAKING CELLS MANDATORY BASED ON THE CONTENT OF ANOTHER

Question
Help!!! I am a complete novice. I am using Excel 2007 and have created lists for several columns, I want it to do 2 things:

1. If a certain option from the drop down list in column C is selected then I want columns D E and F to be mandatory to have content (non specific)

2. If any of the other options from the drop down list in column C are selected (except a particular one) then I want columns D E and F to be greyed out (do not have to be completed)

It is text not numeric data.
Any help would be wonderful! Many thanks

Answer
It's difficult to make cells mandatory, as a blank cell is acceptable - so you may have to arrange the data in a different order OR if it uses calculations you could use conditional formatting to hide the results and perhaps display a message whilst the mandatory fields remain unpopulated.  Greying out would again use conditional formatting, but I'd also use data validation to prevent any data being entered into these cells.

Question found in question pool implying the original expert was unwilling or unable to answer the question - apologies for the brevity of the reply, please do ask any follow up questions you may have - I'm more than happy to help further!
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Aidan Heritage