Excel/spreadsheet calculation

Question
COLUMN F6 HAS A VALUE....WANT TO FIGURE 80% OF THAT VALUE AND PLACE IT IN CELL H8.......=F6*.80.......OK HOW CAN I SPREAD THAT DOWN COLUMN H WITHOUT HAVING TO ENTER FORMULA IN EVERY CELL? OVER 10000 LINES TO DO....

Answer
Tim -

The mouse pointer has several different uses, and the one you need is called the Fill Handle Pointer. It only becomes available if you put your mouse pointer in the lower right corner of a selected cell, right over the little black box. The pointer turns from an arrow into a cross (you don't want the 4 sided arrow cross, just the plain cross).

If you click on the cell that has the formula you want to copy, then the lower right corner gets the little black box. Put your mouse over that box until you get the cross - the Fill Handle. Hold down your left mouse button and start dragging down. When you release your left mouse button, the formula from the first cell will have been copied into the cells you dragged over; but with a twist. The formula will adjust for the rows. You will see what I mean when you do it.

The Fill Handle also works up, right, and left. And it works for things other than formulas - If you have "January" in a cell and use the fill handle it will fill in "February" "March" "April"... because it recognizes the months of the year. It also knows days of the week.

Hope this helps - Andrea
About Excel
This topic answers questions related to Microsoft Excel spreadsheet (or workbook) stand-alone or Mircrosoft Office Excel including Excel 2003, Excel 2007, Office 2000, and Office XP. You can get Excel help on Excel formulas(or functions), Excell macros, charting in Excel, advanced features, and the general use of Excel. This does not provide a general Excel tutorial nor the basics of using a spreadsheet. It provides specific answers to using Microsoft Excel only. If you do not see your Excel question answered in this area then please ask an Excel question here

Excel

Andrea Lynch